Mimi's Pineapple Upside Down Cakes
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
1 20 oz can Pineapple Chunks (diced into small 1/4" pieces)
1 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
1 ½ tsp Double-Acting Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
½ cup Unsalted Butter, softened
2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
2 ea Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup Buttermilk
- In a small pan over medium heat whisk the butter and the brown sugar until melted.
- Spread the mixture evenly in a well greased muffin pan.
- Pat the pineapple very dry between several thicknesses of paper towel and arrange it evenly on the sugar mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Into a bowl sift together the flour, the baking powder, the salt.
- In another bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter with the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy, add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition, add in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture alternately in batches with the buttermilk.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake cakes in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool slightly in the pan. Run a thin knife around the edge of each cake and invert the cakes onto a sheet tray.
- Serve the cake warm with vanilla ice cream.