Cafe Corn Chowder
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 1-1.5 hours
> Download PDF
¼-cup butter, (½-stick)
6 tablespoons chopped onion
¾-cup diced celery
2-½ cups water
2 cups cubed peeled red or russet potatoes, (½-inch)
2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 can creamed corn (14 oz)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 dash of white pepper
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups half and half cream
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in the flour and whisk until smooth and a roux forms (2 minutes).
- Add onions and celery and sautée 5 minutes until soft but not brown.
- Add water, potatoes, corn kernels, creamed corn, sugar, salt and pepper. Using a wire whisk, whisk until smooth.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are barely tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add half and half and simmer uncovered until soup has thickened to a creamy consistency, about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed.